THE CORE FOCUS OF GALLANTFEW’S WINGS LEVEL IS ONE-ON-ONE MENTORING BY A USAF VETERAN (GUIDE) WITH A TRANSITIONING AIRMEN (FUTURE GUIDE). THE PERFECT MATCH IS ONE WHERE BOTH AIRMEN:
- live in the same hometown
- were in the same platoon, company or unit
- had the same Military Occupational Specialty (AFSC)
- were deployed in the same combat theaters
- have similar injuries
Bottom line – we want our Guides and Future Guides to have as many things in common as possible because this generates a fast and strong bond.
There are many ways for you to get involved with Wings Level.
TRANSITIONING AIRMEN (FUTURE GUIDES)
Your transition might be next year or happened ten years ago. The quicker we connect you with a Guide the better. There are several things important pieces of intel you need to know:
– you are probably not reporting all your service-connected injuries
– you will have a tendency to “handle your own business” and not ask for assistance
– if you go to school (and you should) you will probably not fit in with your classmates
– it’s going to be difficult reconnecting and identifying with your old buds
– you’re probably torn up over leaving the unit knowing your brothers will be back in the fight soon
All this is totally normal and we all go through it, some to greater and some to lesser extent. The best way for you to work through your transition is to communicate with a local Airmen. Then down the road when you have a handle on your transition we want you to be a Guide for another Airmen. That’s why we call you a Future Guide.
If you’ve been out some time and are not satisfied with your employment, relationships, finances, or you just really need to talk with another Airmen, we want to connect you too.
How to get started: Fill out the Veteran Sign Up Form. Someone from the Wings Level will contact you by email to verify your status. We verify ALL veterans unless we stood in formation with you. We’ll ask for proof – a DD214 (discharge) or an email from your .mil email account. If you don’t have either of these we’ll work it out with you. Please make sure you cover or black out any SSN or other private information before sending to us. Was verified, you’ll interview with Ryan or Karl to determine what resources work best. We’ll get you connected to your Guide and check back periodically to see how you are doing. If at any time you need help, ask!
If you’ve been out a few years and have successfully transitioned to your civilian career we want you to be a guide for a new veteran. It doesn’t matter what profession, blue collar or white collar. What matters is that you have gone through the process and you have the transitional bumps and bruises to prove it. Your experience is invaluable. Think what it would have meant to you to have a local Airmen to grab a cup of coffee and shoot the sh!t.
GallantFew is a volunteer-driven organization. If you never served in the military, now is your chance to serve those who protected you and your family. Here are a few ways you can help (bet you can come up with more):
- Offer to mentor a veteran in your particular area of expertise
- Get your employer to start or add GallantFew’s Wings Level to a matching donor program
- Offer your time in your area of expertise (web design, brochure/graphic design, video editing…)
- Arrange for a Wings Level spokesperson to talk to a large group in your neighborhood
- Set up a fundraising page
One last note: We will ask you to prove that you are a veteran. We will also ask you to prove that you don’t have any felony convictions and that your driver’s license has not been suspended. Also understand that neither Wings Level nor GallantFew can guarantee employment, success or happiness. All we can do is help you with tools that you must use to obtain your own success. Only one person is responsible for your happiness or success – you.SIGN UP HERE